A Digital Oil Field Components
Such fields usually contain different components, each one have a role to make digital oil field:
• A SCADA system containing Remote Terminal Units (RTU) which installed on site to gather stations process data and also Remote Control Software (installed in Main Control Center) which monitor and control of all remote sites. Backup facilities, alarm and event management are part of this system
• A communication infrastructure typically used to connect remote sites to control center
• Some complementary tools like simulation and analytical platforms to analyze the process values and help the system operators to make best decision on systems cases.
What we can propose for you to make it digital
1- A SCADA System:
Make it possible to
• Process data monitor and operation
• Alarm handling
• Historical data storage and retrieval
• Report generation – time-based, event-based, on-demand
• RTU/PLC-system monitor and operation
• Communication with the other systems
• Protection of people, equipment and environment
• Graphical displays showing RTU process conditions of the field
• Trends of selected RTU process variables
• Alarm management for RTU including alarm acknowledgement
• Commands to control the RTU to change the operating state of valves such as opening or closing
2- A Telecom Network
Now most of executed or ongoing projects proposed to use fiber optic based infrastructures like SDH or Ethernet networks while there is some projects also that uses radio networks like TETRA or P-MP systems as communication infrastructure.
SDH system based system has been implemented using installed fiber optic inside the different location of the field.
The backbone fiber optic transmission system shall operate based on active nodes linked by optical fibers to form a reliable and redundant high speed transmission system for Voice, Data and LAN services to the Valve and Compressor Stations as required.
Local area network (LAN) constructed for all systems of the whole project. LAN system should be industrial redundant Fault Tolerant Ethernet and support the TCP/IP network protocols. LAN shall conform to the Ethernet standard.
While The main user for telecom network is SCADA system but usually there are some other users that maybe installed on this backbone like Radio systems, Telephony services, CCTV and etc. so selecting proper infrastructure is dependent to operational philosophy of the plant.